Monday, July 20, 2009

Empty Spaces, Excesses of Light

Scott and I made it down to LA! We found a place within a few days of living there. I have built a desk out of a bed frame and old red door that were chucked behind our apartment. It is nearly complete.

We're enjoying talking about what kind of a place our new home should be: what things we'd like to pursue, the sorts of things we will be shying away from. There is seriously some big decision making that is involved with deciding whether or not you should have a couch. I am considering all of the hours I've been lost on a couch. We're trying to create an environment with a focus on making plans and following through with them. So far, without the couch this has been realized! Maybe will have throw pillows or ottomans.

Now that were down here, money is running out, fast. I WILL find a job soon, I'm good at that. For the first time in a while I'm feeling the presence of poverty. It has this discomforting way of reminding you how REAL the situation is that you've found yourself in. Making good financial decisions can be disheartening. Wants and needs become more clear. Its easy to get lost in an identity of poverty and humility. I am focusing on staying busy and doing small things that get me closer to whatever goals I have (school, art, being more of a loving, perceptive and understanding individual, etc.).

That said, compared with Washington state, it is WAY difficult to get food stamps here. We were at the department of services for at least four hours! Now that I'm "eligible" there is a long list of documents they need to give me an EBT card. I'll show them I need it. I'll show them how bad I want to eat what I want for free/next to nothing!

This evening Scott and I made dinner per usual. It was our first dinner at our new place. It consisted of fettuccine, fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion, thyme, bay leaves, lemon juice, a serrano chili AND squid. Halfway through the meal I was turned off by the squid. It was chewy and there was too much of it. Its like a poor man's scallop. I don't think I'll be using it again unless its chopped up fine for ceviche or something of that sort. Beyond the squid the meal was delicious.

There is SO much light and heat here. I sweat all day and night long. Its good but I forget to drink water. I generally have no problems hydrating. The thirst sneaks up on you. I peed and noticed that I hadn't been this dehydrated in months and months.

Things are changing quickly. I'm noticing myself creating new rituals and amending my old ones. Moving to another city is one of the things I really love about life. New challenges and experiences are like a wild mental fuel. I feel brave. I feel powerful.

2 comments:

  1. To couch or not to couch. I hear you man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.flickr.com/photos/ascheele100/3746322993

    That's my photos. There are some of Scott and you too.

    I am really hopeful for you dudes. Big changes, but it sounds like there will be so much good for you both. Love you guys.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete